SEATTLE–(BUSINESS WIRE) – (NASDAQ: AMZN) âAmazon today announced the next generation of Kindle Paperwhite with three new models: the all-new Kindle Paperwhite, the very first Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition, and an all-new Kindle Paperwhite Kids. Kindle Paperwhite has been the most popular Kindle for years, and the new generation combines premium hardware, faster performance, and a redesigned user interface for a more enjoyable reading experience. Starting at just $ 139.99, Kindle Paperwhite offers a larger display, new adjustable warm light, and longer battery life, while the new Signature Edition adds an auto-adjusting light sensor and is the first Kindle to offer wireless charging. Pre-orders for Kindle Paperwhite and Kindle Paperwhite Signature Editions begin today and ship on October 27th. More information at http://www.amazon.com/kindlepaperwhite.
“Customers love Kindle Paperwhite, and we’ve worked hard to bring even more premium experiences to the next generation,” said Kevin Keith, vice president of Amazon Devices and Services. âThe new Kindle Paperwhite has a warm light and a larger display for even more comfort, 20% faster page turns and up to 10 weeks of battery life – all in a compact, waterproof design with which you can enjoy a book anywhere. Day or night. Today more than ever it is a pleasure to get lost in millions of books everywhere. ”
Larger, warmer Paperwhite display
The all-new Kindle Paperwhite combines a larger 6.8-inch display, the largest ever on a Kindle Paperwhite, with smaller 10.2mm bezels in a sleek, flush design. In addition, the Paperwhite display is glare-free at 300 ppi, delivers laser-quality text and is similar to real paper, so it is easy to read under all conditions, even in direct sunlight. The display offers an additional 10% brightness at the maximum setting for easier reading for the eyes, and the adjustable warm light and white-on-black-dark mode offer flexibility for reading at any time of the day or night. Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition also has an auto-adjusting front light that automatically adjusts the brightness of the display to the ambient lighting, so you can read comfortably in all conditions.
Read anywhere and for longer
Kindle devices last for weeks on a single charge, so you can enjoy your book without worrying about finding a power outlet. The brand new Kindle Paperwhite and Kindle Paperwhite Signature Editions offer up to 10 weeks of battery life – the longest of all Kindle Paperwhites. To maximize read time, fast USB-C charging only takes 2.5 hours to achieve full charge when using a 9W adapter or more. Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition is the first Kindle to offer wireless charging and can be used with any compatible Qi wireless charger (sold separately). With an IPx8 rating, the all-new Kindle Paperwhite is designed to withstand accidental drops in the bathtub, hot tub, pool and ocean – so you can take it with you almost anywhere you want to read. Plus, 8 GB of standard storage on the Kindle Paperwhite and 32 GB of storage on the Signature Edition offer space for thousands of titles and more space for audio books, comics, newspapers and magazines.
All new Kindle experience
Kindle Paperwhite comes with a completely redesigned Kindle user interface that offers several new features to make the experience easier and more intuitive once you pick up your device and start reading. The updated Kindle experience provides an easy way to switch between the home screen, your library, or your current book, while a new library experience includes new filters and sorting menus, a new collections view, and an interactive scroll bar.
A new option to get started is the simplified setup in the Kindle app for iOS and Android – just pair your device with your phone so you can set up in fewer steps. The settings are accessible with a swipe from anywhere on your device, so you can quickly and easily adjust functions such as screen brightness or activate flight or dark mode without losing your space. These new software features will be rolled out by the end of the year.
Features that enrich your reading experience
The all-new Kindle Paperwhite and Kindle Paperwhite Signature Editions are specially designed to keep you lost in your favorite book. Unlike most tablets and phones, a Kindle has no glare and won’t distract you with social media, email, text messages, or notifications. The all-new Kindle Paperwhite incorporates features that have long made the Kindle family the best reading devices and enhances the experience beyond a printed book, including:
- Whispersync and Whispersync for voice– Stores and syncs your most recently read page, bookmarks, and annotations from your Kindle eBooks and Audible books across all of your Kindle devices and apps, so you can pick up where you left off on any device, whether you’re reading or listening .
- Book covers– Displays the cover of the book you are currently reading on the lock screen of selected Kindle devices with no ads.
- Word by word– Provides short, simple definitions that automatically appear over difficult words so those learning a new language can keep reading with fewer interruptions.
- Accessibility– Allows customers to access devices and reading applications that use assistive technology, features that support a wide variety of reading needs, tools that enable anyone to become a Kindle author, and 12+ million books supported by screen readers .
The best e-book store in the world
Like all Kindle e-readers, the new Kindle Paperwhite models offer instant access to the Kindle Store, which includes:
- Gigantic selection-Millions of books, newspapers, and magazines, including the latest bestsellers, plus features like Amazon Book Review, Amazon Charts, and more.
- Kindle UnlimitedâGet unlimited access to an ever-growing selection of over 2 million eBooks, thousands of audio books, and up to three selected magazine subscriptions and short lessons. For a limited time, Kindle Paperwhite and Kindle Paperwhite Signature Editions come with a free four-month Kindle Unlimited membership.
- Amazon Original Stories-Read or listen to binge-worthy short and non-fiction books from bestselling authors, acclaimed storytellers, and new voices like Dean Koontz, Mindy Kaling, Jared Dudley, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, and more, all at no additional cost to Prime and Kindle Unlimited Members.
- First readingsâEvery month, readers receive an eBook from a pre-published, editorially curated selection at no additional cost for their Prime membership.
In addition, Prime members can read from a rotating selection of thousands of books, magazines and more – at no additional cost for their Prime membership.
The very first Kindle Paperwhite for kids
Also today, Amazon announced the Kindle Paperwhite Kids – the first Paperwhite device designed specifically for young readers. Kindle Paperwhite Kids comes with a kid-friendly cover, a 1-year subscription to Amazon Kids + and a 2-year worry-free guarantee. The all-new Kindle Paperwhite Kids is priced at $ 159.99 and is available for pre-order today. Find out more here.
Environmental promise friendly
The brand new Kindle Paperwhite and Kindle Paperwhite Signature Editions are designed with sustainability in mind and carry the Climate Pledge Friendly badge. Both are made of 60% recycled plastic and 70% recycled magnesium. In addition, 95% of packaging is made from wood fiber-based materials from responsibly managed forests or recycled sources.
Prices and availability
The all-new Kindle Paperwhite is priced at $ 139.99 and is available in 8GB in black. The new Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition costs $ 189.99 and is available in 32 GB, also in black. Both devices are available for pre-order starting today and come with a free, four-month membership to Kindle Unlimited for a limited time. New leather, cork and fabric covers for the brand new Kindle Paperwhite will be available in a variety of colors.
Amazon is guided by four principles: customer obsession instead of competitive focus, passion for inventions, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking. Amazon strives to be the most customer-centric company in the world, the best employer in the world, and the safest place to work in the world. Customer Reviews, 1-Click Shopping, Personalized Recommendations, Prime, Fulfillment by Amazon, AWS, Kindle Direct Publishing, Kindle, Career Choice, Fire Tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Echo, Alexa, Just Walk Out Technology, Amazon Studios and The Climate Pledge are some of Amazon’s pioneering efforts. For more information, visit amazon.com/about and follow @AmazonNews.