By EMILY SPARACINO / Staff Writer
CHELSEA – Chelsea City Council approved the city’s operating budget for fiscal year 2021-2022 on Tuesday, September 21.
The budget represents an increase over the previous year’s budget, with total expected income of nearly $ 17.7 million.
“We have come a long way in our city,” said Mayor Tony Picklesimer, noting that the city’s initial budget in 1996 was $ 32,500. “I appreciate the work of this council.”
The budget for fiscal 2022 includes total income of $ 14,706,786 in the general fund, along with $ 7,163,668 in total expenses and $ 7,342,648 in total operational transfers, making a balance of $ 200,470 Dollar remains.
The following is a list of the expenses:
- City General Spending – $ 2,332,852
- Planning and Zoning – $ 7,000
- Library – $ 541,490
- Maintenance Department – $ 315,000
- Park and Recreation – $ 817,650
- COP Program – $ 23,400
- Citizen Protection Contracts – $ 1,412,000 (includes one extra substitute per shift)
- Streets and Streets – $ 40,000
- Community Center – $ 606,700
- Senior Center – $ 4,980
- Museum – $ 4,650
- ARPA spend – $ 1,057,946
The following is a breakdown of the operational transfers:
- Fire Department – $ 4,236,000 (includes three new fire trucks)
- Highway 49 (ARPA) – $ 619,390
- Debt Service – $ 1,719,258
- Capital Projects – $ 768,000
In relation to the city’s total budget, operational transfers are estimated to be around $ 7.6 million, with remaining bond proceeds of $ 2 million and an additional $ 6 million bond issue for 2021-2022 to cover capital projects such as the Splash Pad. that have exceeded original estimates due to factors such as material and cost increases.
Total spending is expected to be around $ 23.7 million.
The net balance, minus the education reserve of $ 1,931,500, is $ 155,494.
In other matters the Council has:
- Approved a proclamation declaring September 27th Family Day and September 26th-October. 2 as a family week.
- Decided to increase the fee for processing appraisal letter requests to $ 25.
- Approved an ABC liquor retail license for Southern Wings Fourteen LLC, which operates as Buffalo Wild Wings.
- Approved annexation requests for properties on Forest Lakes Lane, Highway 336 and Country Manor Drive.
- Voted to approve rights of way deeds for the transfer of permanent easements to Shelby County.